Sunday, May 6, 2012

An enjoyment of writing is best motivation

I have not included a link with this article but I would like to reflect on the changes in the creative industries and how writers should (perhaps) approach the challenges that are implied.

With indie writers now having a tangible prospect of making a living from their work it is important to stress that  in the long term, for most authors, motivation has to be right.

Creative writing is a difficult business. Finding time (and energy) to get the 'black on white' is not trivial. That is the case for me as well as, I suspect, most others.

Some people will make a lot of money. Most will make a little. But that won't get the words out of 'your head' consistently enough and to a high enough degree of quality to make the whole thing sustainable. For most people.

I love stories. I always have done so. I started writing them around the age of 7. I would just like to take this opportunity to apologise to my teacher a the time, Mr Hanks, my spelling was (and still is) quite appalling and my handwriting remains almost beyond hope of resembling an intelligible form despite your best efforts....

But I write now for the same reasons I wrote my first stories 30 years ago. It is fun. It makes me happy and I enjoy the experience even more if others also have fun.

That provides me with my motivation.

I do not know if I will ever make a penny from my work. But that is not the point.

I would not worry whether the Agency Model of publishing is going to survive or not. If you just enjoy story telling and write to the highest standard you possibly can then you will be successful long term.

Ebook or physical. Stories are stories. Good work will stand out.




No comments:

Post a Comment