Thursday, June 14, 2012

The future of voice recognition and creative writing?

I use Voice Recognition as part of my creative writing process

Here is a link to an interesting article about the possible future of this technology

http://www.independent.co.uk/life-style/gadgets-and-tech/features/nuance-space-age-voiceled-technology-is-just-around-the-corner-7847731.html

For me, the advantages of Voice based writing are finely balanced by the current limitations it poses. Yes I write faster, but the accuracy is not always good enough to 'keep the flow' going. The fastest I have managed to go (first draft) is 55 words a minute. I always have to go back and correct mistakes.

The other problem is that the very speed of voice recognition can cause issues with quality. I have found that the best (but slowest) way to write is to input text directly into a computer via typing manually. it is glacially slow but the delay between forming the story in my head and delivering the words into a word processor actually helps me to weed out poor quality storytelling and word use.

I also use the technology to 'write up' handwritten work. This is probably one of the most useful aspects of the technique.

Without a doubt mind mapping is the way to go and Nuance provide me with an excellent tool.  All in all I love the idea of dumping my thoughts straight into a machine...

Those are the pros and cons as I see them.

No comments:

Post a Comment