Sunday, May 1, 2016

Lone Wolf ''Storms of Chai' on its way soon.

I am eagerly awaiting the latest instalment in the classic Lone Wolf Gamebook series. 'The Storms of Chai' by Joe Dever.  In this story 'you' play the role of Kai Grandmaster sent on a perilous mission by the Supreme Master and leader of your order Lone Wolf himself. The book is on its way and I will post a short review when it arrives. it should be good if past books in the series are anything to go by.
Lone Wolf was always a perplexing character in many ways. When I was younger I devoured the first twelve books in this series but it was when I read book 11 ('Prisoners of Time') that I really felt I started to get to know the back story for the then Kai Master. The great thing about this story universe is that each books builds on the next. In 'Prisoners of Time' Lone wolf is journeying through a parallel world and there are one or two passages that point back to his life before he became a member of the mystical order of Kai Lords. I love those references. I don't know if later volumes built on this approach. I only recently rediscovered this series. I would love to know more and I will endeavour to share my findings. 
The best gamebooks are the ones with a compelling thread of character development. This has to be done in a way that doesn't get in the way of game play and does not restrict choice. The Lone Wolf series managed this in the main. I felt that learning about the lead characters family and origins added depth. I enjoyed it. Which is kind of the point of reading the books. 
So 'Storms of Chai' is the 29th book in the series. I think Joe Dever deserves an award to two (I know he has some already) for his perseverance and for the joy he has brought to so many. I am sure this books will go down as one of the really good ones.  


 

No comments:

Post a Comment