Monday, February 28, 2011

Quantity versus Quality

I used to think that it was incredibly important to get my writing as good as possible straight away.  I spent a lot of time writing directly onto my personal computer and then editing and re-editing the work.

I got very little done and nothing published.

My approach these days is to write by hand and not worry if I do not get it right first time around.  Creative writing is an iterative process. Its important to realise that nobody can write a story all in one go.  Not if its going to be any good.  Get 'black on white' as they say (I actually used a blue tipped pen at the moment but hey!) get something substantial to work with and worry about details and revising at a latter date.

I wrote chapter one and half of chapter two of my novel today using this approach.  Providing you have an outline / plan for your work it will be okay.

No comments:

Post a Comment