Sunday, February 6, 2011

Where do the ideas come from?

If I had the luxury of choice I would spend my life as a 'Professional Daydreamer'... If I did that and wrote it all down I would be a writer. If that writing was sufficiently cogent and was acknowledged by others I could claimed to be a published author.

Well ideas come from all kinds of places.  A writer needs to do his or her research but the starting point is a spark of inspiration for a story or a character or both.  'Internal Research' is a term sometimes used by writers... 'Daydreaming' is the correct phrase I feel!  I'm not belittling the importance of this process.  The continual renewal of ideas is absolutely esstential to writing a novel or even a short story.

My ideas come to me at the most inconvenient of times.  When I'm driving my car and don't have the ability to make notes for example. Or in the middle of the night and I just don't want to make notes! I've a long history of dreaming up stories from seemingly nothing.  Its good to point out that reading other peoples work plays a very important role in the shaping of a writers craft.  But the subconscious has to be used to filter and 'mix up' the imaginative inputs in order to produce a unique output.

I'm currently working on various short fictional works.  I also have a couple of novels planned out and will be putting pen to paper again on them very soon (I do use a 'pen' rather than a computer at first instance.  More on that later)

That's enough for now.  I hope to post to this blog at least once a week so more will follow soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment