Friday, February 22, 2013

Augmented Reality

Technology has always fascinated me. Real or imagined it shapes all of our lives. It can be an engine for good or burden on society. Sometimes it is both.

Augmented Reality will, I hope, will be part of the former.

Google has produced a fascinating game call Ingress. I have not managed to get an invite to it and I doubt that I would have the time to play the game even if I did at the moment but the idea sounds intriguing. A fantasy world built on top of our own reality. Real people meeting and interacting in a physical sense. It is more than tapping on a keyboard or swiping a touch screen. It changes behaviours and it will change our world.

I think for the better.

Ingress is a new way of sharing storytelling. Earlier in my life I used to play role-playing games. Dungeons and Dragons was one. I mean the real role-playing, around the table, with real people in real time. Shared stories that helped me grow up and stretched my imagination. I hope the new wave of augmented reality gaming will do something similar in the lives of others.

It could do more.

Imagine the benefits to local economies. Local businesses able to promote their services via gaming portals. The melding of stories with local causes. The democratisation of the world via the mobile device. The expansion of free speech and express. The list goes on.

Google is leading the way. I hope other technology companies follow. This has the potential for something really special. Something good. Reality can be better tomorrow than it is today. All through the power of shared experience.

Bring it on.

No comments:

Post a Comment