Friday, February 1, 2013

Use word power to heal yourself

Another weekend is upon us. Another week is over. It has been a challenging time for me personally. The pressure of working and home lives have pressed in and tested my new found defences. Despite struggling at times I won through. I am glad it is Friday.

But I know that, as with any problem, understanding stress is the key to overcoming the condition. The more difficulties that get tossed in the way the more I develop methods of dealing with them. I know that my life will be amazing. I know I can win. I just need to claim that victory.

Today I arrived home feeling drained. I had a headache  I was downhearted. I could have just curled up in bed and crashed out for a couple of hours. A few weeks ago that would have been my solution.

I tried something else.

I am a writer. I know the power of words. Language shape our thoughts and our minds control so much of how our bodies react. Stress can be beaten by the human psyche. With this firmly in my mind I applied a bit of DIY psychological therapy. For a period of ten minutes or more I concentrated on generating as many positive or constructive words about myself or my life that I could. I tried to keep the list unique but I allowed myself complete freedom in choosing synonyms.

It lasted for a lot longer than ten minutes.

But the tiredness disappeared. the throbbing pain in my head vanished. I felt wonderful and the feeling lasts even now hours later as I type these words.

Try it. It works.

There are many ways to wage war on Stress. I hope this technique is useful for you.

No comments:

Post a Comment