Sunday, April 14, 2013

Figures of fun

I used to love playing with toy soldiers.

My oldest friends will remember me covering my room with thousands of these little blighters.  I used to break them regular because they were everywhere. This was fine because I would just go down the model shop and buy more. It was great having pocket money in those days.

I still buy toy soldiers. I have one sitting on my bedroom window sill. A warhammer dwarf legionary (or whatever) I think he is as striking match for Thorin Oakenshield from that recent movie (and book) but hey it is hard to be sure.

Before the soldiers I drew pictures. Complex montages of battles and faraway settings. My grandparents used to enjoy be producing these wonderful creations but got rather annoyed with me when I started to cross things out and update the image. The soldiers were being killed. Of course they needed crossing out!

Well stories move on. My Grandma did not see my reasoning but it is true. Even when a book is finished the story continues in the minds of the readers and the writer.

My little dwarf warrior is looking lonely.




No comments:

Post a Comment