Sunday, April 7, 2013

The return of the Gamebook

If you are as ancient as me you might remember that back in the 1980's there were these rather curious publications called Game-books.

They seem to be making a come back.

Game-books or 'Choose your own adventure' books were ones in which the reader took on the role of the protagonist and could make decisions on how to proceed through the story. The most successful series were written by the likes of Ian Livingston, Steve Jackson and Joe Dever. There were plenty of other writers producing these wonderful products and I spent many an afternoon lost in the worlds of the Fighting Fantasy, Lone Wolf or Way of the Tiger universes.

Ah...

Alas computer games replaced the old format. There are still a few physical ('old style') single player role playing books around but they are mostly re-published classics. The concept is still a good one and with the resurgence of 'Text Adventuring' I can see that their could be a market for Game-books, both for today's young adults and then 'not so young' kids (I am in the later category)

Lone Wolf has returned in e-book/App form. Tin Man Games in Australia is re-producing the Fighting Fantasy series. I look forward to playing them both.

And I would love to write my own. One day I will.


No comments:

Post a Comment