Monday, April 1, 2013

Unintended consequences

The human mind never ceases to amaze me.

I have just had the luxury of ten days off work. I re-planed a fantasy novel, drank an industrial amount of caffeine related drinks and even managed to relax to some extent.

So I count my time away from the day job a success.

Today I had intended to get cracking on the book. I was going to pen the first words of chapter one. I had high hopes of making progress after the considerable amount of time spent thinking and conceiving the structure of the third draft. That was the plan.

Well you know what they say about plans...

Instead I spent the afternoon in a daydream. I drank even more caffeine. I spent long hours staring into space. It was wonderful.

I got nothing done.

But this is not strictly true. In the course of my creative diversion (read procrastination) I manage to connect together abandoned story concepts from the past with fabulous ideas for a future project. It will be fabulous if I get to implement it.

It all started off this morning when I saw an image on one of the social networks. Looking at the Internet can be dangerous. I saw in my minds eye a girl lost in an emotional turmoil. An angel captured by darkness. I immediately associated her with several disconnected stories. Something new was born.

I am not sure at the moment whether this idea will find resolution as a novella, novel or just a series of short pieces of fiction. It will appear one day. I have faith.

I simply love the way my brain does this to me. It may seem a bit inefficient, chaotic even, but that is how it works for me. I will get the words out. It just takes time for the jumbled mess of thoughts and intentions to slot into place.

So today was not a waste of time. Writing is never pointless. I will keep beavering away at this idea and no doubt there will be plenty of other diversionary tactics sprung on me by my mischievous synapses.

That is the joy of being a writer.

No comments:

Post a Comment