Tuesday, May 21, 2013

The dark side of 'reality'

I love to watch other people go about their lives. I am writer so this is natural.

How we react to difficult circumstances mark us out from the crowd. We are the player characters in our own 'virtual reality' game we call 'life.' Except it is real not a digital creation. What we say and do is important. These things define us.

I have a bad temper at times. Not often, but every now and then I get angry. Sometimes it is part of the dreaded 'Human Stress Reaction.' Which is not a good thing. Sometimes I get angry on behalf of others. That can prove to have good side effects. I do not like being angry. 

However it can help with the writing.

Dipping into our 'dark hearted nature' can be like opening a Pandora's box. Writers need to see humanity through 3D specs. I need all the contrast possible to make our characters stand up out of the page or screen. There is plenty hidden inside even the most saintly of authors. We mustn't be ashamed of being valid human beings.

It is only fiction. We wind stories out of the ethers of subconscious but for the most part they are not true. I also think that what ever darkness we find locked within needs to be tempered with light. I like happy endings. That is my preference. 

So explore the dark side. With care. Maybe it provide you with insights into things you never guessed at before. I does with me and helps me be a better person because of it.

But I still do not like being angry.

No comments:

Post a Comment