Monday, May 6, 2013

The long term focus

Nothing worthwhile is easy and it generally does not happen overnight.

I like planning for the future. Sometimes the planning absorbs a little too much of my time and energy. Plans are only any good if they get implemented in some form. Otherwise they are just procrastination.

I have recently re-started my long distance running. When I go about a project like this i have to know that after a certain period I will get a benefit. There has to be a point to it. In the case of running it will be that I am fitter, feel better and maybe be able to take part in races. I could also meet people who share my aims and make the world a little bit better.

I have the same attitude to creative writing.

Books don't get written overnight. There has to be a long term vision. The work has to be done. I am (probably) then worst person on planet earth to actually finish a project. I do know, however, where I want to be. That is essential. Even if the place I eventually get to is completely different. I have a plan.

Sometimes with my running I have to take a pause. I do not like the idea of trotting around in sub-zero temperatures with only a tracksuit and a warm attitude to sustain me. That is fine. Life gets in the way of my writing as well. Sometimes I have to work long hours in the office. I may be unwell for some reason. Friends and family need attention. There are many reasons why plans do not run smoothly.

What I am trying to grasp is that so long as I (or you) do not give up on your dream then the possibility of realisation remains. Just keep trying. If necessary re-plan your project.

But always have a plan...

No comments:

Post a Comment