Sunday, April 6, 2014

Have courage to write.

Writing is more than just a nine to five job.

It takes many years to be successful for most writers. This of course depends on what is meant by 'success'. For some people it is a lifestyle change and for other writers the opportunity just to be 'read' or to hold their book in their hand is enough.

I have been on this road for some long now. Even in my childhood there were moments when I knew where I want to be 'when I grew up'. I never did 'grow up' and I have not (yet) achieved my goal of being a professional author. It has taken a lot blood, sweat and tears to get as far as I have and I know there is so much more to do.

But I know what I want to achieve and I am getting there.

I won't bang on about my life story or my various creative projects. At least not in this post. This storytelling lark is hard old business. Us writers have to dig deep. The ideas have to be good enough. At least they have to good enough for ourselves to have the confidence to share them. And there is the rub. Confidence. The old saying that there is a book in everyone may or may not be true. The point is that if we want to be successful writers we need to 'get the book out'. Its takes time and courage.

So I hope to arrive at my destination soon. My day job keeps paying the mortgage. My dreams keep me going. I know I will get there. The vivid images I see when I am thinking about my books and my love of word smithing tell me that. I am sure the same is true for other writers.

There are only really three fundamental things I have to do. Firstly 'start' (done that), Secondly 'keep going' (doing that) and lastly 'finish' (nearly done that). That is all.

So have faith and get those books 'out'.






No comments:

Post a Comment