Sunday, October 30, 2016

A Purpose for Science Fiction.


Image result for Copyright free images of space
Add caption

I have believed that the future will be better than the past. From an early age I have been interested in stories and narratives that paint pictures of how things will be. Perhaps I am naive but I just do not accept that 'what
we have now is the best that things can be'

Science Fiction is about answering the question 'What if things were different?' I used to love Star Trek for it utopia vision. Gene Roddenberry's creation inspired my own ideas. I watched other shows when I was a child too, such as Doctor Who and Blake 7 and many, many more. I wrote stories of my own. The first one when I was aged about six I think. I never really gave up and here I am aged forty two and still writing.

But the world will actually live in is far from perfect. 'The Hunger Games' is perhaps more representative of where we heading.

I left my job to help others prevent this future, or ones like it from becoming reality. I am writer by inclination and now by trade. I intend to use my own SF series 'The Eternity Sequence' to raise funds to help repair the damage others have done. I will do the best job I can. I have other series in the making too. I won't give up.

But we all need to weave a different narrative to the one that pervades our media saturated lives. We have to keep dreaming of better ways of living, of being and 'of becoming'. We must find he solutions to our societies challenges. We need to look inside 'inner space' as much, if not more, that going out into the universe beyond. 

Above all we must keep asking the question "What if things were different?" Because I firmly believe that what we have now is not the best that things can be.





No comments:

Post a Comment