Thursday, October 27, 2016

We must help them ('The Refugees')

My name is Andrew. Until about three weeks ago I worked as a Software Test Engineer in a safe industry sector. I was well paid. Things could have continued like that for years if I had let them.

Image result for calais jungleBut have a look at this place...

Yes, this is 'The Jungle' a place of misery and, for some, misplaced hope. thousands of refugees were until a few days ago, crowded in this squalor, desperate to find passage across the channel.

Many hundreds of the refugees here were children (I refuse to use the term Migrant. We are not talking about animals crossing the African savanna - These are people fleeing war and persecution)  

Well the French have burnt the camp down and are sending in the bulldozers. They haven't accounted for all of the children yet but that fact has not slowed them in their eagerness to 'accomplish' their 'mission'

So there you are. A little bit of context.

Like you, I watched this on the news. I went to work. I pretended that I was 'making a difference' in my job. I took the salary home that I was offered. I tried not to think.

But I am not very good at that. And I also failed at 'not feeling' as well. I am a bit lousy at the 'not feeling' bit.

I quit my job and said that enough is enough. Right or wrong I will dedicate all of my efforts to help these poor vulnerable people who have been abandoned by the governments who should have taken care of them. My plan is to write and work as hard as possible to raise funds and awareness for this and similar courses. I may lose my shirt but hell, I won't lose my life. 

On Tuesday (two days ago) I visited Stroud's 'International Cafe'. I watched Syrian children running around with their English playmates (bashing each other over the head with balloons mostly this week), the teenagers being teenagers and the adults just relaxing over cups of tea. It was fantastic. This is what keeps it all 'real' and 'focused' for me. This people deserve our help.

I will be publishing my first science fiction story early in the new year. If I make enough so I cover by very basic costs I will donate the vast bulk of the rest to local charities. If I hold any money back it will be to invest in even better ways of raising money.

So, please support me. Even more importantly, please support them.


No comments:

Post a Comment