Tuesday, February 5, 2013

So you want to be successful?

I have just read Mark Coker's excellent advice for budding indie writers. The link to the interview between the Huffington post and the Smashwords founder here.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/david-henry-sterry/mark-coker_b_2594203.html

I have to say that I totally agree with his comment that the single most important thing to do to ensure success in self publishing is to, actually, write a good book.

It is pretty obvious.

Quality of the story and the writing itself is extremely important. Write something people want to read. Simple.

Quality of production and presentation is important too. I am working on this aspect at the moment. I have some way to go before I am happy I have processes in place for this. I will get there.

And then make your work available as widely as possible. Do not put all your eggs in one basket.

I would add that the old adage of 'Keeping it Simple Stupid'  is very apt one as well. Complex promotional plans are more likely to fail (and be costly) than simply producing a simple, well structured story, with interesting characters and selling it at an affordable price. (or even giving it away)

I am actually giving aspects of my story away even before it reaches its final version. My blog contains early copies of my story. I hope you appreciate and enjoy this process with me. It is rough and ready but the story will be stronger and better because of it.

You are welcome to copy my methods.

So this concludes Fisky's guide to e-book publishing success.

Get writing!

No comments:

Post a Comment