Wednesday, February 6, 2013

The nature of suffering

I sit tonight alone in my rocking chair thinking about my family.

Mum and Dad are only a few miles away. Tonight, if I let myself feel that way, they could be in another galaxy.

My mother is recovering from a serious illness. She is having trouble a the moment but will be fine. it is all part of the healing process. I know that.

It is hard for me to write fiction at a time like this. How can I daydream when my parent is suffering physical pain? I could remain silent. Instead I choose to speak about the emotions of the last year. Ones that threaten to enter into 2013

Suffering can take many forms. Physical pain is just one of them. Last year I spent too much time fighting off pain of a completely different kind.

Spiritual pain is the hardest type. I know my mother will get better. She is a strong woman and the prognosis is good for her. I know this but knowledge is only the first step in my journey to achieve my own recovery.

So I will not write any stories now. This is not fiction. Real life is a compelling tale. Mum will be okay.

I believe in happy endings.


No comments:

Post a Comment