Wednesday, July 10, 2013

Having fun CYOA style

I love 'choose your own adventure' books (CYOA)

Interactive fiction comes in many forms and the merger of book and game has been going on for decades. Remember Death-trap Dungeon or Lone wolf?

I am mulling over ways and means of writing one of these beasts. Strictly speaking their is a distinction to be made between the early 'pure' CYOA books and the later 'gamebooks.' The balance between story and game system varied across the various series that were available in the 1980's and 90's

I want to focus on good writing and storytelling. I would like to keep game mechanics to a minimum. I can't compete with mobile or console based gaming and neither would I want to do so. The books I enjoyed the most had three dimensional characters and solid plots. The secret in my opinion will be to find ways of immersing the reader / player in the adventure through good old fashioned storytelling.

Well it will be fun to have a go.

I estimate that early next year I may have a concept book ready. Lets see. I have a lot of things to do before then but it is good to 'timebox' the project. It might actually happen that way.

So which idea will I start with? To find out turn to page....


No comments:

Post a Comment