Tuesday, July 16, 2013

The ideal lifestyle

If the world was perfect I would get my dream job, earn a fortune and retire.

Except I wouldn't. 

For me writing is an enjoyable activity, it could allow me to earn a few extra quid and it is good for my health. I would love to be a full time writer. I may even be good at it? I will let you judge. One thing I will never do is give. So no retirement for me.

I need to balance a number of competing priorities in life. I need money. I also need to get away from the day job. If writing became the day job I would need to consider a way to escape from the stories in some way.

That could be tricky.

Since I was small I have been using creative writing and storytelling as a survival technique of sorts. I have until recently suffered from stress to high degree. That is fixed. In the past one way I used to relieve the pressure was to invent other worlds to exist in. I told my stories to keep myself going. 

So if I manage to become a famous author there is a chance that I may need to pay someone to allow me to do something during the working week that is dull, tedious, run of the mill or just outright boring.

Even science fiction and fantasy writers need to 'keep it real.'

No comments:

Post a Comment