Sunday, October 13, 2013

A question of viewpoint

I have always wanted to write a first person novel.

These are quite different beasts from the third person stories I am used to writing. I have never really made a success of first person writing but I have hope.

I also love the second person 'Gamebook' genre. I would love to pen one of these as well. Again I have struggled. In this case due lack of time and space. There are only so many 'plates' I can spin at once.

It is important to view stories from differing viewpoints. Even a third person story can benefit from looking through the eyes of another character. I often write multiple versions of a scene doing just that. It can be a good way of strengthening both the story and the your understanding of the characters.

I wonder how that would work with the first person concept though?

This is the challenge. How to keep the story fresh when there is only one 'pair of eyes' seeing the action? I guess there would need to be a lot of 'thinking out loud.' I will try a small story one of these days. The best way to find out if it is for me is to have a go.

And the Gamebook will happen one day as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment