Wednesday, October 23, 2013

Time to write a gamebook

I have some time off work coming up soon.

My plan for my holiday had involved finishing 'Children of the Storm'. However I have made so much progress with the novella that it will be finished long before I start my break. I have to find something else to do with my time it seems.

So I am going to write some interactive short stories instead. Have a look at this tool. http://writer.inklestudios.com/ It is wonderful HTML5 application built by a company called Inkle Studios based in the UK. The software allows the creation of CYOA (Choose Your Own Adventure) sytle interactive fiction stories. I had a play the other day and it was amazing fun. So in November I am intending to have a go and right a story of my own using it.

Inkle studios is one of a number of companies bringing the 1980's gamebook genre back to life. They have released the first of the Steve Jackson 'Sorcery' series as a computer game. I am waiting for this one to arrive on Android so I can have a go. I remember the books as complex, and quite fun, stories. I am looking forward to see how the concept has evolved into the digital era.

So that is my vacation sorted out then. I will then have to get around to more mundane tasks such as editing (Grr!) and maybe planning for the next book in my novella series.

A writer's work is never done eh?

No comments:

Post a Comment